Child Outcomes Summary Knowledge Check (COS-KC)
The Child Outcomes Summary Knowledge Check (COS-KC) is an assessment that examines whether a practitioner has sufficient knowledge to participate in the COS team process and produce accurate ratings for child outcomes measurement.
The COS-KC is one strategy states can use improve the quality of their child outcomes data because it examines practitioner knowledge of the COS process, which is an essential component of accurate data. The assessment is part of the COS-KC system, which includes different reports that allow state and local administrators to track who has taken the assessment and how they performed.
Key features of the COS-KC are:
- It is free and online.
- It includes 30 multiple choice items and takes about 45 minutes to complete.
- There are different assessments for practitioners working with birth to 3-year old children and those working with 3- to 5-year-old children.
- It is open book, with links to resources provided.
- It is not timed. Test-takers can stop and return as often as needed.
- It is pass-fail.
- Results are provided as soon as the assessment is completed.
- National field test has established validity of the assessment.
If you are from a state agency and interested in learning more about using the COS-KC in your state, see COS-KC: For States.
If you are interested in learning more about the assessment itself and how to take it, see COS-KC: For Practitioners.
in collaboration with: