System Framework Data System Component
The contents of this component of the System Framework were developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, #H373Z120002. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government
Project Officers: Meredith Miceli and Richelle Davis
The DaSy Data System Framework is the Data Systems Component of the larger ECTA System Framework for Part C and Section 619. The purpose of the DaSy framework is to assist Part C and Section 619 programs in developing and enhancing high-quality state data systems and in improving the quality of their IDEA data. The framework is intended to enhance the capacity of Part C and Section 619 state staff to:
- Understand the characteristics and capabilities of a good state data system, so they can
- Lead or actively participate in state data system development efforts, including cross-agency work, so they can
- Use their state data systems to comply with IDEA federal reporting requirements and answer important program and policy questions, which will
- Enable states to build better systems of services and programs that will improve outcomes for young children with disabilities and families served under IDEA Part C and Section 619.
The DaSy Framework for IDEA Data Systems is composed of six Subcomponents. Some Subcomponents include Sections that identify the key areas within the Subcomponent.
Data System (DS) Subcomponents
Subcomponent 1: Purpose and Vision (PV)
- Quality Indicator PV1
- Part C/619 state staff or representatives have articulated the purpose and vision of the data system.
- Quality Indicator PV2
- The purpose and vision include the Part C/619 state program’s intents and goals for the data system.
Subcomponent 2: Data Governance and Management (DG)
Section 1: Authority and Accountability
- Quality Indicator DG1
- The data governance structure delineates appropriate decision-making authority and accountability consistent with the uses of the data system reflected in the purpose and vision.
- Quality Indicator DG2
- The state ensures data governance and management roles and responsibilities clearly establish decision-making authority and accountability.
- Quality Indicator DG3
- Data governance authorizes Part C/619 staff or representatives to implement policies established for the state Part C/619 data system and manage the data system in accordance with all policies.
Section 2: Quality and Integrity
- Quality Indicator DG4
- Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure the quality and integrity of data collected from state/local programs and agencies.
- Quality Indicator DG5
- Part C/619 state staff or representatives implement monitoring procedures and technical assistance to ensure consistent application of data quality and integrity policies.
Section 3: Security and Access
- Quality Indicator DG6
- Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure the security of the data from breach or loss.
- Quality Indicator DG7
- Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure that only authorized users gain appropriate access to the data, including reports.
- Quality Indicator DG8
- Part C/619 state staff or representatives support and implement management procedures that maintain and address data security and access.
Subcomponent 3: Stakeholder Engagement (SE)
Section 1: Leading Part C/619 Data System Stakeholders
- Quality Indicator SE1
- Part C/619 state staff identify groups and individuals who are affected by the data system.
- Quality Indicator SE2
- Part C/619 state staff provide opportunities for stakeholders to give input about the data system.
- Quality Indicator SE3
- Part C/619 state staff consider stakeholder input in decision-making and notify stakeholders of decisions made regarding the data system.
Section 2: Part C/619 Participating as Stakeholders in Integrated Data System Initiatives
- Quality Indicator SE4
- Part C/619 state staff are engaged as stakeholders in integrated data system initiatives, such as C/619 integrated data system, ECIDS, SLDS.
Subcomponent 4: System Design and Development (SD)
Section 1: Initiation of New System/Enhancement and Requirements Analysis
- Quality Indicator SD1
- Part C/619 state staff are actively involved in initiating the development of the new data system or enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD2
- Part C/619 state staff are actively involved in the development of business requirements, process models, and data models for the data system/enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD3
- The requirements analysis defines the full set of requirements for the new data system/enhancement -- that is, what the new system/enhancement must do.
- Quality Indicator SD4
- The Part C/619 state data system has the capacity to support accountability, program improvement, and program operations, and should contain the following data elements and features.
Section 2: System Design and Development
- Quality Indicator SD5
- Part C/619 state staff work with the IT team to translate the system requirements analysis into the design for the new data system/enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD6
- Part C/619 state staff work with the IT team as they build and test the new data system/enhancement.
Section 3: System Acceptance and Deployment
- Quality Indicator SD7
- Part C/619 state staff prepare for, communicate about, and conduct system acceptance testing to ensure the new data system/enhancement functions properly before deployment.
- Quality Indicator SD8
- Part C/619 state staff participate in creating, reviewing, and revising materials to support the implementation of the new data system/enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD9
- Part C/619 state staff communicate and work with the IT team to deploy the new data system/enhancement.
Subcomponent 5: Data Use (DU)
Section 1: Planning for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU1
- Part C/619 state staff plan for data analysis, product development, and dissemination to address the needs of the state agency and other users.
Section 2: Analyzing and Disseminating for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU2
- Part C/619 state staff or representatives conduct data analysis activities and implement procedures to ensure the integrity of the data.
- Quality Indicator DU3
- Part C/619 state and local staff or representatives prepare data products to promote understanding of the data and inform decision-making.
- Quality Indicator DU4
- Part C/619 state and local staff or their representatives disseminate data products to users to meet their needs.
Section 3: Using Data and Promoting Capacity for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU5
- Part C/619 state and local staff use data to inform decisions.
- Quality Indicator DU6
- Part C/619 state staff or representatives support the use of data at state and local levels.
Subcomponent 6: Sustainability (SU)
- Quality Indicator SU1
- Part C/619 state staff use a systematic process that includes stakeholder input to identify enhancements to the data system.
- Quality Indicator SU2
- Part C/619 state staff generate political and fiscal support to maintain and enhance the data system.