About ECTA Center
The ECTA Center supports state Part C and Section 619 programs in developing high-quality early intervention and preschool special education service systems, increasing local implementation of evidence-based practices, and enhancing outcomes for young children with disabilities and their families.
Who We Are
We are a national technical assistance center focused on building state and local system capacity to improve outcomes for children with disabilities and their families. ECTA Center is funded by a cooperative agreement with the Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
We are a consortium of national experts from across multiple organizations:
- FPG Child Development Institute of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- SRI International
- University of Denver
- University of South Florida
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE)
- Parent to Parent of Georgia
- PACER Center
- Walsh-Taylor, Inc.
- Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children
Racial Equity Statement
The Early Childhood TA Center (ECTA) is committed to creating an organizational culture where racial equity is embedded across our work and is characterized by respect for all people. A diverse workforce across our myriad of social identities brings multiple experiences, perspectives, and ideas that result in an effective organization. In order to create this racially equitable organizational culture in our workplace we will:
- hire and retain a racially diverse workforce and make equitable promotions to leadership positions.
- create workplace opportunities where staff can continually increase their knowledge and awareness of the structural and systemic effects of racism so as to challenge this pervasive, social force that negatively harms all of us.
- provide ongoing training and TA opportunities to build awareness of individual biases and prejudices, and the knowledge, skills, and competencies to lead actionable change for racial equity and inclusion.
- continually review and rework, if necessary, our policies, practices, and procedures, to provide proactive and responsive technical assistance (TA) to advance anti-racist practices, policies, and systems.
The ECTA Center invites and will nurture partnerships across the field of early childhood to engage in this transformational work of dismantling oppressive systems and creating anti-racist practices, policies, and systems. We value collaboration and communication that challenges racism and supports racial equity. Our unremitting commitment to promoting anti-racist practices, policies, and systems requires accountability, vulnerability, humility, and continuous learning. We promise to hold ourselves accountable to this commitment and repair harm when mistakes are made, and we welcome feedback from all (staff, partners, those we serve and those we have not yet served) to help us in this pursuit.
- Increase National Awareness
- Increase awareness and recognition at the national level of how IDEA Part C and Section 619 can be intentionally included within broader early childhood initiatives.
- Build State Leadership Capability
- Build the knowledge and skills of state IDEA Part C and Section 619 Coordinators to implement high quality state systems.
- Increase Program Capacity
- Increase capacity of Part C and Section 619 programs to implement systems change efforts, improve and sustain state systems, and increase access to, and participation in, high-quality, inclusive programs for young children with disabilities.
- Improve Practices
- Improve the implementation of effective services and evidence-based interventions, including DEC Recommended Practices, in inclusive settings.
What We Do
We provide technical assistance to state Part C and Section 619 programs, including:
- coaching systems change efforts
- developing critical new resources for the field
- facilitating peer learning communities
- hosting conferences on important national issues
- responding to individual state requests for assistance
See also: Services