Federal Requirements for Transition from Part C to Preschool
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) contains provisions related to transition:
- Part B §1412 (a)(9) Transition from Part C to preschool programs. Children participating in early intervention programs assisted under Part C, and who will participate in preschool programs assisted under this part, experience a smooth and effective transition to those preschool programs in a manner consistent with section 637(a)(9). By the third birthday of such a child, an individualized education program or, if consistent with sections 614(d)(2)(B) and 636(d), an individualized family service plan, has been developed and is being implemented for the child. The local educational agency will participate in transition planning conferences arranged by the designated lead agency under section 635(a)(10).
- Part C §1437(a)(9), the transition requirements for state applications for Part C.
- Part C §1436(d)(3), an individualized family service plan which includes steps to support transition of a toddler with a disability to preschool or other appropriate services.
- Part B §1414(d)(2)(B) requires the IEP team to consider the IFSP for children ages 3 through 5.
- Part C §1435(c)(1) for transition from Part C: Flexibility To Serve Children 3 Years of Age Until Entrance Into Elementary School. The lead agency and the state education agency may develop and implement a policy available to children with disabilities who are eligible for services under Section 619 and previously received services under Part C, to continue early intervention services.
Analysis of Comments contained within the Federal Register
- §303.209: Transition requirements
- §303.211: State option to make services available to children ages three and older
Subpart A: Definitions
- §303.34: Service coordination services (case management)
Subpart C: State Application and Assurances
- §303.209: Transition to preschool and other programs
- §303.210: Coordination with Head Start and Early Head Start, early education, and child care programs
- §303.211: State option to make services under this part available to children ages three and older
Subpart D: Child Find, Evaluations and Assessments, and Individualized Family Service Plans
- §303.301: Public awareness program: information for parents (c) Information specific to toddlers with disabilities
Individualized Family Service Plan
- §303.344: Content of the IFSP: Transition from Part C Services
Confidentiality of Personally Identifiable Information and Early Intervention Records
- §303.401 Confidentiality and opportunity to examine records: (d) Disclosure of information (e) Option to inform a parent about intended disclosure
Subpart A: General Definitions
- §300.25: Infant or toddler with a disability
Subpart B: State Eligibility
- §300.124: Transition of children from the Part C program to preschool programs
Subpart D: Evaluations, Eligibility Determinations, Individualized Education Programs, and Educational Placements
- §300.321(f): Initial IEP Team meeting for a child under Part C
- §300.323(b): IEP or IFSP for children aged three through five
Subpart E: Procedural Safeguards
- §300.501: Opportunity to examine records; parent participation in meetings
- §300.504: Procedural safeguards notice