The full DaSy Data System component is available on the DaSy web site at:
Data System (DS) Component
The DaSy Data System Framework is the Data Systems Component of the larger ECTA System Framework for Part C and Section 619. The purpose of the DaSy framework is to assist Part C and Section 619 programs in developing and enhancing high-quality state data systems and in improving the quality of their IDEA data. The framework is intended to enhance the capacity of Part C and Section 619 state staff to:
- Understand the characteristics and capabilities of a good state data system, so they can
- Lead or actively participate in state data system development efforts, including cross-agency work, so they can
- Use their state data systems to comply with IDEA federal reporting requirements and answer important program and policy questions, which will
- Enable states to build better systems of services and programs that will improve outcomes for young children with disabilities and families served under IDEA Part C and Section 619.
The DaSy Framework for IDEA Data Systems is composed of six Subcomponents. Some Subcomponents include Sections that identify the key areas within the Subcomponent.
Subcomponent 1: Purpose and Vision (PV)
- Quality Indicator PV1: Part C/619 state staff or representatives have articulated the purpose and vision of the data system.
- Quality Indicator PV2: The purpose and vision include the Part C/619 state program’s intents and goals for the data system.
Subcomponent 2: Data Governance and Management (DG)
Section 1: Authority and Accountability
- Quality Indicator DG1: The data governance structure delineates appropriate decision-making authority and accountability consistent with the uses of the data system reflected in the purpose and vision.
- Quality Indicator DG2: The state ensures data governance and management roles and responsibilities clearly establish decision-making authority and accountability.
- Quality Indicator DG3: Data governance authorizes Part C/619 staff or representatives to implement policies established for the state Part C/619 data system and manage the data system in accordance with all policies.
Section 2: Quality and Integrity
- Quality Indicator DG4: Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure the quality and integrity of data collected from state/local programs and agencies.
- Quality Indicator DG5: Part C/619 state staff or representatives implement monitoring procedures and technical assistance to ensure consistent application of data quality and integrity policies.
Section 3: Security and Access
- Quality Indicator DG6: Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure the security of the data from breach or loss.
- Quality Indicator DG7: Data governance policies require the development and implementation of procedures to ensure that only authorized users gain appropriate access to the data, including reports.
- Quality Indicator DG8: Part C/619 state staff or representatives support and implement management procedures that maintain and address data security and access.
Subcomponent 3: Stakeholder Engagement (SE)
Section 1: Leading Part C/619 Data System Stakeholders
- Quality Indicator SE1: Part C/619 state staff identify groups and individuals who are affected by the data system.
- Quality Indicator SE2: Part C/619 state staff provide opportunities for stakeholders to give input about the data system.
- Quality Indicator SE3: Part C/619 state staff consider stakeholder input in decision-making and notify stakeholders of decisions made regarding the data system.
Section 2: Part C/619 Participating as Stakeholders in Integrated Data System Initiatives
- Quality Indicator SE4: Part C/619 state staff are engaged as stakeholders in integrated data system initiatives, such as C/619 integrated data system, ECIDS, SLDS.
Subcomponent 4: System Design and Development (SD)
Section 1: Initiation of New System/Enhancement and Requirements Analysis
- Quality Indicator SD1: Part C/619 state staff are actively involved in initiating the development of the new data system or enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD2: Part C/619 state staff are actively involved in the development of business requirements, process models, and data models for the data system/enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD3: The requirements analysis defines the full set of requirements for the new data system/enhancement -- that is, what the new system/enhancement must do.
- Quality Indicator SD4: The Part C/619 state data system has the capacity to support accountability, program improvement, and program operations, and should contain the following data elements and features.
Section 2: System Design and Development
- Quality Indicator SD5: Part C/619 state staff work with the IT team to translate the system requirements analysis into the design for the new data system/enhancement.
Quality Indicator SD6: Part C/619 state staff work with the IT team as they build and test the new data system/enhancement.
Section 3: System Acceptance and Deployment
- Quality Indicator SD7: Part C/619 state staff prepare for, communicate about, and conduct system acceptance testing to ensure the new data system/enhancement functions properly before deployment.
- Quality Indicator SD8: Part C/619 state staff participate in creating, reviewing, and revising materials to support the implementation of the new data system/enhancement.
- Quality Indicator SD9: Part C/619 state staff communicate and work with the IT team to deploy the new data system/enhancement.
Subcomponent 5: Data Use (DU)
Section 1: Planning for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU1: Part C/619 state staff plan for data analysis, product development, and dissemination to address the needs of the state agency and other users.
Section 2: Analyzing and Disseminating for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU2: Part C/619 state staff or representatives conduct data analysis activities and implement procedures to ensure the integrity of the data.
- Quality Indicator DU3: Part C/619 state and local staff or representatives prepare data products to promote understanding of the data and inform decision-making.
- Quality Indicator DU4: Part C/619 state and local staff or their representatives disseminate data products to users to meet their needs.
Section 3: Using Data and Promoting Capacity for Data Use
- Quality Indicator DU5: Part C/619 state and local staff use data to inform decisions.
- Quality Indicator DU6: Part C/619 state staff or representatives support the use of data at state and local levels.
Subcomponent 6: Sustainability (SU)
- Quality Indicator SU1: Part C/619 state staff use a systematic process that includes stakeholder input to identify enhancements to the data system.
- Quality Indicator SU2: Part C/619 state staff generate political and fiscal support to maintain and enhance the data system.