Part B IDEA 2004 Statute
Part B Federal Regulations for IDEA 2004
- December 19, 2016: Amended Final Regulations Addressing Equity under Part B of the IDEA were published in the Federal Register. The regulations address issues related to significant disproportionality in the identification, placement, and discipline of students with disabilities based on race or ethnicity. They are effective January 18, 2017. The Department's Office of Civil Rights has also released policy guidance (Dear Colleague Letter, Fact Sheet, FAQs) on preventing racial discrimination in special education.
- April 28, 2015: Amended Regulations for Part B of the IDEA were published in the Federal Register. These amendments revise and clarify the regulations governing the requirement that local educational agencies maintain fiscal effort, known as "maintenance of effort."
- February 14, 2013: IDEA Part B Final Regulations on Parental Consent for the Use of Public Benefits or Insurance were published in the Federal Register. The regulations amend the Department's regulations in 34 CFR §300.154(d)(2)(iv), which were published in the Federal Register on August 14, 2006. They are effective on March 18, 2013. For complete information see IDEA Part B Final Regulations on Parental Consent, which includes a one-page summary, as well as a Q&A with non-regulatory guidance on the new regulations.
- April 2009: Non-regulatory Guidance on the Part B Final Supplemental Regulations was published by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
- December 1, 2008: IDEA Part B Final Supplemental Regulations were published in the Federal Register.
- August 14, 2006: Federal Regulations for Part B of IDEA 2004 (34 CFR Part 300), Assistance to States for the Education of Children With Disabilities, were published in the Federal Register. See also, links to specific subparts and sections of the Part B Regulations, including Subpart H - Preschool Grants for Children with Disabilities.
- Archived information: Full-text of the previous (1999) Part B Regulations, including 34 CFR Part 300 (1999), as well as 34 CFR Part 301 (1999), Preschool Grants for Children With Disabilities.
OSEP Policy Letters of Clarification